Last night, I was craving comfort food. When I think of comfort food, I often think of soup! Something warm, creamy, that cooks fast but still has a component of fresh veggies and savory meat involved. So I decided to make Squash Cauliflower Soup with Braised Short Rib.
Squash Cauliflower Soup
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot and sauté 1-2 diced cloves of garlic until golden brown.
- Add diced butternut squash and cauliflower to the pot and cook until vegetables are soft. Cook for about 15-20 minutes. (add a table spoon of brown sugar)
- Purée the cauliflower and squash using a hand blender or blender.
- Add 1/2 cup of cream and 1/4 stick of butter to add more flavor and creamier texture
- Add a pinch of salt and black pepper (and any other seasonings you prefer)
- Let puree cook on low heat for another 15-20 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle parsley flakes as your garnish.
Continue to steps below if you are adding meat to your soup…
Braised Short Ribs
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Marinate your short ribs to your preference. (salt, pepper, rosemary, crushed red pepper flakes, lime juice, parsley, garlic, etc.,)
- Add 1 table spoon of olive oil (or oil of your choice) to the pan
- Add short ribs into the pan and brown them on all sides until they are golden brown. You can also throw in some diced yellow and green onions to add more flavor.
- Pour in some sweet and dry wine of your choice to deglaze the pot.
- Let simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Transfer your pot of goodness into a ceramic baking dish.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum and let short ribs cook at 400°F for 2 hours
- After two hours, turn oven down to 300°F and let cook for another 1- 1.5 hours
- Transfer short ribs to sit in the center of your soup bowl and drizzle some of the wine garlic sauce in at the bottom of the baking dish on top for more flavor and sprinkle parsley flakes as your garnish.